    SubjectRe: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion
    Hi!

    > > > It's probably worth keeping things like the .gz files around, if nothing
    > > > else for older distros, systems, etc that don't have xz yet (since it's
    > > > still relatively new)
    > >
    > > Hardly a good reason IMHO. xz can be installed on these systems. When
    > > we switched to git, nobody had it and it did not stop us.
    >
    > I don't agree, it's different. Git is only used by developers, and even
    > not all of them. Sources are a reference. Anyone can download them to
    > look for anything. Switching to a specific format which really is not
    > common at all on older distros nor on any system looks a bit like
    > proprietary encoding eventhough it's not the case. But it's a way to
    > tell people that if they want the sources in clear text form, they
    > first have to find a tool capable of decompressing them. Gzip is well
    > defined as a standard, it's even described in an RFC and is present
    > on almost any system (unix or not) now. Any student who wants to take
    > a look at the kernel will have access to gunzip, even from an old
    > Solaris 8 workstation or a Windows XP desktop PC. XZ if far from
    > being there, and the student will not necessarily be able to install
    > it. And Peter raised some valid points about the hardware requirements
    > to run such tools ; I'm not sure the guys running Linux on their old
    > Sparc-2 would like XZ only a lot.

    It is not just student on old workstation. I'm trying to keep Linux
    working on spitz PDA and kohjinsha subnotebook. Especially zaurus has
    about power of old sparc two... otoh it runs 4 hours on cellphone
    battery.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2010-02-13 07:23    [W:0.021 / U:1.096 seconds]