SubjectRe: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion
Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:39:51 +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
>> Jean Delvare wrote:
>>> Prove it. Many people out there are still working on older trees. I am
>>> working on 2.6.5 and 2.6.16 kernels on a weekly basis. If ketchup or
>>> other tools break for these trees only and not more recent ones, that
>>> won't help me at all, I will still have to update them.
>> Why are you still working on 2.6.5 and 2.6.16 kernels on a weekly
>> basis?
>
> Because I am doing support for enterprise customers who are using
> distributions based on these kernel versions. These are SLE 9 and SLE
> 10, to name them, but RHEL supporters are in the same situation. And
> I've heard embedded developers report many times that they had to stick
> to older 2.6.x kernels too for various reasons. Not everyone is using a
> recent 2.6.x kernel, which makes it hard to draw a line between what
> should be considered old ones and what should be considered new ones.

Embedded and enterprise distro users are usually stuck on ancient kernels that
were downloaded from kernel.org and patched *years ago*. The reason they're
stuck on them is due to local modifications, and so they're not going to be
downloading ancient vanilla kernels from kernel.org now.

Phillip

  Last update: 2010-02-13 23:39    [W:0.154 / U:0.484 seconds]