SubjectRe: do_IRQ: 0.165 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
From
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Suresh Siddha
<suresh.b.siddha@intel.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 02:25 -0700, Torsten Kaiser wrote:
>> Ping?
>>
>> I reported this problem one day after -rc1 was out and it's still
>> there in -rc8, the probably last -rc for 2.6.33.
>> (I also reported it against -rc2, -rc3, -rc4 and -rc6)
>>
>> Apart from the patches related to the SiI register HOST_CTRL_MSIACK
>> (that did not fix the problem) I have the feeling, that I'm not one
>> step further to any fix.
>>
>> Is this a bug in the MSI-enable code in sata_sil24?
>> Is this a bug in the MSI code in libata?
>> Is this a bug in the IRQ system?
>> Is this a bug in the x86 apic code?
>
> There are primarily two issues you reported.
>
> One is the spurious interrupt issue (for which you see "no irq handler
> for vector messages). From your experimental results you verified that
> this problem doesn't happen in physical apic mode. This shows that there
> is some problem with the way this HW subsystem (involving sata_sil24)
> handles logical mode. Most likely some bug either in the sata_sil24 or
> in the platform paths (bridges etc) handling the sata_sil24 interrupts
> (as you say, other devices work fine with MSI on this platform).
>
> And the second problem is the sata timeouts (which happen irrespective
> of the above spurious interrupts). It looks like interrupts are dropped
> (which might be the reason why your ERR count -- apic error count --
> increases).
>
> Based on your experimental results, we can say that it is not the bug
> with x86 apic code and irq subsystem.
>
>> Is this a hardware bug in the SiI 3132?
>> Is this a hardware bug in the MCP55?
>> Is this a fatal bug or does it just need the right quirk?
>>
>> What should I do now?
>> Keep posting that it's still broken at each -rc?
>> Open a bug at bugzilla.kernel.org? Against what subsytem?
>> Should I just not use the sata_sil.msi=1 commandline?
>
> You should n't use that command line as your experiments showed that
> sata_sil msi mode is clearly broken on this platform and perhaps report
> the issue to the HW vendor (you should include in that report, the
> spurious vector 165 that you see in logical mode and also the apic error
> you see -- you can enable debug to see the error message that gets
> printed in smp_error_interrupt() for this --)

Since the MCP55 onboard controller also fails, this seems rather like
a chipset problem. Maybe some of the PCI-E links spuriously fail MSI
sometimes? Does anyone have any good chipset contacts at NVIDIA these
days? Peer Chen was CCed on the Bugzilla report, but didn't respond.

  Last update: 2010-02-13 19:25    [W:0.036 / U:0.072 seconds]