    SubjectRe: tracking memory usage/leak in "inactive" field in /proc/meminfo?
    On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Chris Friesen <> wrote:
    > That just makes the comparison even means that there is more
    > memory in active/inactive that isn't accounted for in any other category
    > in /proc/meminfo.

    Hmm. It's very strange. It's impossible if your kernel and drivers is normal.
    Could you grep sources who increases NR_ACTIVE/INACTIVE?
    I doubt one of your driver does increase and miss decrease.

    >> Now kernel don't account kernel memory allocations except SLAB.
    > I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I think cached, buffers,
    > pagetables, vmallocUsed are all kernel allocations.  Granted, they're
    > generally on behalf of userspace.

    Yes. I just said simple. What I means kernel doesn't account whole memory
    usage. :)

    > I have a modified version of that which I picked up as part of the
    > kmemleak backport.  However, it doesn't help unless I can narrow down
    > *which* pages I should care about.

    kmemleak doesn't support page allocator and ioremap.
    Above URL patch just can tell who requests page which is using(ie, not
    free) now.

    > I tried using kmemleak directly, but it didn't find anything.  I've also
    > tried checking for inactive pages which haven't been written to in 10
    > minutes, and haven't had much luck there either.  But active/inactive
    > keeps growing, and I don't know why.

    If leak cause by alloc_page or __get_free_pages, kmemleak can't find leak.

    > Chris

    Kind regards,
    Minchan Kim

      Last update: 2010-02-12 03:41    [W:0.022 / U:42.684 seconds]