SubjectRe: Race in ptrace.
On 02/11, Salman Qazi wrote:

> I understand what it does. But, why is it the right thing to do?

Oh. Let's not discuss the current API. Nobody thinks it is great,
but we can't change it.

But,

> From the user's perspective, why should the task become untraced if we
> use ptrace to deliver the signal?

The task does not become untraced. The tracer (in your test-case)
explicitly asks the tracee to respect SIGSTOP and stop.

> Doesn't this make it impossible to
> intercept and control which signals are sent to a traced task?

Why? The tracee reports all signals. If the tracer does
ptrace(PTRACE_WHATEVER, SIGXXX) surely it knows SIGXXX is sent to
tracee.

In any case. This is how ptrace currently works, there is no race
and the patch is not needed (in fact it is very wrong, but this
soesn't matter).

Do you agree?

Oleg.

  Last update: 2010-02-11 21:13    [W:0.164 / U:1.968 seconds]