    SubjectRe: perf hw in kexeced kernel broken in tip
    On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 03:48:04PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 09:42 -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
    > >
    > > Either driver itself can detect that device is in inconsistent state and
    > > reset it otherwise we also pass a command line parameter "reset_devices" to
    > > second kernel to explicitly tell kernel that devices might be in bad state,
    > > reset these during initialization. If we want to use these perf counters in
    > > kdump kernel, we shall have to do something similar.
    >
    > Right, so I'm perfectly fine with leaving the kdump kernel broken for
    > now and if people really do need hardware events we can try and reset
    > the hardware when we find that reset_devices command line parameter.
    >
    > Not sure how that interacts with these broken BIOSes,

    reset_devices was meant to be dual purpose so that it can handle broken
    BIOSes also. So if BIOS is broken then one can pass "reset_devices" to
    kernel and driver can attempt to reset the device and boot the kernel.

    >but its kdump so
    > its mostly broken by design anyway ;-)

    Kdump has its share of problems especially with the fact that
    kernel/drivers find devices in bad state and are not hardened enough
    to deal with that. But on bare metal what's the better way of capturing
    kernel crash dump? Trying to do anything post crash in the kernel is
    also not very reliable either.

    I think the way we fix kernel for boot problems on newer hardware, for broken
    BIOses, we need to keep on fixing it in kdump path also to make sure new
    devices/drivers can cope up with this scenario.

    Thanks
    Vivek

      Last update: 2010-12-08 16:05    [W:3.360 / U:0.012 seconds]