SubjectRe: [BUG] "perf top" results in "NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 100"
On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 14:29 +0100, Heiko Carstens wrote:
> > As far as I could see this function gets called from process context with
> > a spinlock held and hence we don't have any guarantee that this pending
> > softirq get executed before the idle task gets scheduled and tries to
> > disable the tick.
> >
> > The easiest fix would be to set wakeup to one (see patch below), but I guess
> > there is a reason why its zero. Anybody?

We can start that hrtimer from within the scheduler function while
holding the rq->lock, doing a wakeup from there is not sane.

The best solution would be to fix the hrtimer_start*() interface,
something Thomas and I have wanted to do for ages but because we've
procrastinated is now a much larger job than it was :/

The whole HRTIMER_SOFTIRQ thing should die.. but for that to happen its
only use-case today must first go.

The problem is trying to start a timer with already elapsed time.
Preferably hrtimer_start*() would simply return -ETIME and let the
caller sort it, sadly the current behaviour is to 'fix' it for the
caller by enqueueing the timer onto the softirq list and raising the
softirq.

I guess we could make hrtimer_start*(.wakeup=false) return the -ENOTIME
thing and audit those few use-cases.

  Last update: 2010-12-07 14:53    [W:0.031 / U:1.840 seconds]