    Subject[RFC/PATCH 0/2] Move twl*-irq.c to threaded_irq infrastructure
    Date
    Hi all,

    This is truly untested. I only compile tested thus far
    as I'm not sure it's the right path. It looks like that's
    what's supposed to be done, but I wanted to check with you
    guys before going any further.

    In a few minutes, I'll be starting to test these two
    patches and will try to find any possible errors with them
    but, please, give it a good review as IMO it's a rather
    invasive change.

    Thomas, I've got one extra question for you. I remember
    reading you suggested all drivers should actually try
    to use threaded IRQ infrastructure for handling the IRQ
    and the hardirq handler would only check if the IRQ
    is coming from this device. Is that how you expect
    theaded IRQ to be used ? What's the purpose ?

    Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I came to the
    conclusion that threaded IRQs can be reniced and
    preempted which would mean we could be setting IRQ
    priorities from userland and we could also be running
    N IRQ threads if we have N cpu cores. Is that correct ?
    Is that your goal ?

    I tried searching for some more documentation on
    the threaded IRQ infrastructure but couldn't find
    much by grepping Documentation/ maybe my match string
    wasn't good enough. Anyway, let me know what are your
    feeling about the following two patches and what would
    be your goal should we move all IRQ handlers to threaded
    IRQ infrastructure as I remember you suggested.

    Happy new year all.

    Felipe Balbi (2):
    mfd: twl6030-irq: move to threaded_irq
    mfd: twl4030-irq: move to threaded_irq

    1.7.3.4.598.g85356

      Last update: 2010-12-28 15:03    [W:0.023 / U:29.236 seconds]