    SubjectRe: Linux distribution
    From
    Ave

    2010/12/25 Andreas Mohr <andi@lisas.de>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > [picking up this orphan posting ;)]
    >
    > choice of Linux distribution is a quite subjective thing.
    >
    > Myself, I'm tending towards Debian-based distributions.
    > If your email handle is true to the core, then perhaps Debian stable
    > would be a good idea, otherwise choose an "easier on the user" variant
    > like SimplyMEPIS, MINT or even Ubuntu.
    >
    > Reason being that with Debian installation of all kernel-related
    > packages (build-essential, libncurses5-dev etc.) is a simple matter
    > (which OTOH I'm sure is the case with many non-Debian distros as well).
    >
    > Or if you want to be right at the forefront of Linux development,
    > then perhaps choosing a nicely integrated source-based distribution
    > such as Arch is a good idea to always have fresh packages.
    >
    > But generally choice of distribution shouldn't really matter (in case
    > one is using a capable desktop distribution, of course).

    Agreed - it doesn't really matter. But if he want a distro that is
    used by developers, he may want to take a look at page 13 of
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/docs/lf_linux_kernel_development_2010.pdf
    top kernel contributors by company.

    I don't see anything related to distros that you proposed :P

    > HTH,
    >
    > Andreas Mohr
    > --

    Slawa!