SubjectRe: [patch 7/7, v7] NUMA Hotplug Emulator: Implement mem_hotplug/add_memory debugfs interface
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, shaohui.zheng@intel.com wrote:

> From: Shaohui Zheng <shaohui.zheng@intel.com>
>
> Add mem_hotplug/add_memory interface to support to memory hotplug emulation.
> the reserved memory can be added into desired node with this interface.
>
> Add a memory section(128M) to node 3(boots with mem=1024m)
>
> echo 0x40000000,3 > mem_hotplug/add_memory
>
> And more we make it friendly, it is possible to add memory to do
>
> echo 3g > mem_hotplug/add_memory
> echo 1024m,3 > mem_hotplug/add_memory
>
> Another format suggested by Dave Hansen:
>
> echo physical_address=0x40000000 numa_node=3 > mem_hotplug/add_memory
>
> it is more explicit to show meaning of the parameters.

NACK, we don't need such convoluted definitions if debugfs were extended
with per-node triggers to add_memory as I suggested in v6 of your
proposal:

/sys/kernel/debug/mem_hotplug/add_node (already exists)
/sys/kernel/debug/mem_hotplug/node0/add_memory
/sys/kernel/debug/mem_hotplug/node1/add_memory

You can then write a physical starting address to the add_memory files to
hotadd memory to a node other than the one to which it has physical
affinity. This is much more extendable if we add additional per-node
triggers later.

It would also be helpful if you were to reach consensus on the matters
under discussion before posting a new version of your patchset everyday.