SubjectRe: [RFC] i2c-algo-bit: Disable interrupts while SCL is high
Hi Michael,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:09:54 +0100, Michael Lawnick wrote:
> Jean Delvare said the following:
> > Hi Ben,

> >> Hmm, this is going to be a drain on interrupt latency... disabling
> >> interrupts in a system for that long could cause other things to
> >> jitter.
> >
> > So you consider that even disabling interrupts for 5 us is too long? Or
> > are you only worried by the 50 us case?
>
> Sorry to disturb, but
> <MANTRA>
> Disabling interrupts may be done only for a few instructions.</MANTRA>
>
> Even 1 us is an eternity on modern systems.

Don't be sorry, this is exactly the kind of input I was asking for. I'm
a little surprised, I thought disabling interrupts for a couple
microseconds was happening all the time, but I'll trust your
experience. Given your point and Ben's, it seems clear that my patch is
not acceptable as is, and at the very least I should make the spinlock
usage optional.

High-resolution timers may be an option too, but I guess it will
require a rewrite of the driver, and also I don't think HR timers are
available everywhere, so we will have to keep the old code in place for
compatibility.

Matthias, can you please tell us whether your system supports
high-resolution timers? I need to know if that would be a viable
solution for you.

--
Jean Delvare

  Last update: 2010-12-18 00:11    [W:0.378 / U:0.004 seconds]