SubjectRe: hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption? (was: Re: dm-crypt barrier support is effective)
From
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Jon Nelson <jnelson@jamponi.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Ted Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 07:11:28AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
>>> I'm glad you've been able to reproduce the problem! If you should need
>>> any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.
>>
>> This patch seems to fix the problem for me.  (Unless the partition is
>> mounted with mblk_io_submit.)
>>
>> Could you confirm that it fixes it for you as well?
>
> I believe I have applied the (relevant) inode.c changes to
> bd2d0210cf22f2bd0cef72eb97cf94fc7d31d8cc, rebuilt and begun testing.
> Now at 28 passes without error, I think I can say that the patch
> appears to resolve the issue.
>
> --
> Jon

Confirmed !

I'm running my box for 5+ hours right now with your patch applied in
addition to Andi's/Milan's patch
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/editing/dm-crypt-scale-to-multiple-CPUs.patch)
, Ted, and can't see any indications of corruptions so far (while
doing an emerge -e system) and doing everyday stuff.
My /home partition (with ext4) is also still intact [which of course
has a backup] so it seems to fix it for me, too

so the corruption I was seeing was similar in a way to that of Jon

You can add a
Tested-by: Matthias Bayer <jackdachef@gmail.com>

Thanks a lot to everyone for your support ! :)

I have a question though: the deactivation of multiple page-io
submission support most likely only would affect bigger systems or
also desktop systems (like mine) ?

Regards

Matt