    SubjectRe: [linux-next] automatic use of for security?
    Hi David,

    On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:44:30AM -0800, David Daney wrote:
    > On 11/09/2010 09:33 AM, Kees Cook wrote:
    > >In an effort to continue the constification work, it'd be nice to
    > >not accidentally introduce regressions or add additional work. Since
    > > already knows to warn about a lot of things including const
    > >structures, it would be great to have all commits going through linux-next
    > >(or something) have to pass at least a subset of's checks.
    > >
    > >For example, Lionel Debroux pointed out to me that looking at the last
    > >1000 commits, there are a lot of warnings, including things like:
    > >
    > >WARNING: struct dma_map_ops should normally be const
    > >#499: FILE: arch/mips/mm/dma-default.c:301:
    > >+static struct dma_map_ops mips_default_dma_map_ops = {
    > >
    > >Can we add some kind of automatic checking to actually give
    > >some real teeth for at least some of its checks?
    > >
    > Ok, did you actually try to make it const as suggested? If you had,
    > you would have found that there are declarations throughout the code
    > base that conflict with's suggestion.
    > There are several things we could do:
    > 1) Force people to clean up the entire kernel tree before making
    > trivial changes that might complain about.
    > 2) Change so that it doesn't complain about this.
    > 3) Make reasonable changes and ignore the warning.
    > In that specific case you cite, #3 was chosen.

    Right, I don't want to suggest unreasonable changes; I want to try and
    start a discussion about what might make a good addition to help avoid
    obvious problems. (The chosen example was, perhaps, not a good one.)

    > If you gate admission to linux-next with some sort of automated
    > check like this, I fear the wrath of the disgruntled masses may fall
    > upon you.

    But it seems like it might be nice to do at least something there?

    Kees Cook
    Ubuntu Security Team

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-09 19:01    [W:0.022 / U:76.816 seconds]