    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2010-discuss] checkpoint-restart: naked patch

    On 11/04/2010 02:47 AM, Nathan Lynch wrote:
    >> In this case whitelisting the allowed
    >> state by requiring special APIs for all I/O (or even just standard
    >> APIs as long as they are supposed by the C/R lib you're linked against)
    >> is the more pragmatic, and I think faithful aproach.
    > I don't think users will go for it. They'll continue to use dodgy
    > out-of-tree kernel modules and/or LD_PRELOAD hacks instead of porting
    > their applications to a new library. I think a C/R library is an
    > "ideal" solution, but it's one that nobody would use - especially in
    > HPC, unless the library somehow provides better performance.

    I hear that there are plans to integrate one of the userland
    snapshotting implementations with HPC workload manager. ISTR the
    combination to be condor + dmtcp but not sure. I think things like
    that make a lot of sense. Scientists writing programs for HPC
    clusters already work in given frameworks and what those applications
    do and how to recover are pretty well confined/defined. If you
    integrate snapshotting with such frameworks, it becomes pretty easy
    for both the admins and users.

    I'll talk about other issues in the reply to Oren's email.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-04 08:41    [W:0.022 / U:77.708 seconds]