SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] i2c/busses: Add support for Diolan U2C-12 USB/I2C adapter
Hi Jean,

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 16:18 -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:41:42 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 08:43 -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > I'm also unsure what is the point of having such a large buffer when
> > > the largest block you ever transfer in practice is 5 bytes?
> >
> > I took that from the Diolan code. They always use a 257 byte temp
> > buffer, since that is the maximum data size sent by the adapter.
> > You are right, I should not really need that since I don't send any long
> > commands. Ultimate reason is to account for possible adapter errors, if
> > it replies (or tries to reply) with more bytes than expected. Pretty
> > much just playing safe.
>
> Which commands are they using, which require such a large buffer? In
> your driver, bytes are all processed one by one, which is certainly not
> good performance-wise. If there is a way to read or write mode than one
> byte at a time, this would be worth a try.

There are read/write block commands. Unfortunately, I never got it
working reliably :-(.

> > > (...)
> > > BTW, I'm not sure why you don't use the original buffer directly?
> > > memcpy is bad performance-wise.
> >
> > To account for the possibility that the adapter returns more bytes than
> > I am expecting. Sure, that would be a bug, but I wanted to play safe.
>
> Hmm, OK, that makes sense.
>
> > > (...)
> > > Should be -EPROTO according to Documentation/i2c/fault-codes.
> >
> > Ok. Note that I got that from i2c-algo-bit.c.
>
> I would welcome a patch fixing this.

Ok, I'll put that on my list. Note that there are several other i2c
drivers returning -EREMOTEIO.

> > > Odd indentation/alignment.
> >
> > Seems to be exactly what other drivers do, so I am a bit at loss here.
>
> Really? Using 4 spaces for indentation is wrong. Either use a tab, or
> align using 7 spaces.

Ok.

> > > (...)
> > > You are abusing algo_data here. You are supposed to use
> > > i2c_get/set_adapdata() instead. algo_data is only there for providing
> > > platform specific implementation details to generic i2c algorithms such
> > > as i2c-algo-bit.
> >
> > Copied from i2c-tiny-usb.c. I didn't really think about it. Fixed.
>
> I take patches ;)

Ok. Another one to look at if I need a break ;).

Guenter

  Last update: 2010-11-04 21:37    [W:0.029 / U:1.064 seconds]