    Subject[REGRESSION] [2.6.37-rc1] Fan noise after suspend to ram/disk
    Date
    1.
    Last known good kernel: 2.6.36
    Bad kernel: 2.6.37-rc1
    ===============================

    2. Problem:
    When I resume computer from s2ram/s2disk and current CPU temp is below lowest
    trip point, and -- from unknown reason -- fan start in maximum speed it
    doesn't turn off (it should).

    It doesn't happen always but only when fan starts work and any of trip points
    aren't exceed. It seems that system only check temperature when exceed trip
    point.
    ===============================

    3. /sys/cass/thermal/ info:

    I have:
    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ ls
    cooling_device0 cooling_device2 cooling_device4 cooling_device6
    thermal_zone1 thermal_zone3
    cooling_device1 cooling_device3 cooling_device5 thermal_zone0
    thermal_zone2 thermal_zone4

    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ cat cooling_device*/type
    LCD
    Processor
    Processor
    Fan
    Fan
    Fan
    Fan

    ===============================

    Colling device from 3 to 6 are inform what is current fan speed, for example:
    cooling_device3 = 0
    cooling_device4 = 0
    cooling_device5 = 0
    cooling_device6 = 0
    Means that fan is off.

    cooling_device3 = 0
    cooling_device4 = 0
    cooling_device5 = 0
    cooling_device6 = 1
    Means fan works on 40% of full speed (1st trip point is exceed).

    cooling_device3 = 1
    cooling_device4 = 1
    cooling_device5 = 1
    cooling_device6 = 1
    Means fan works on full speed (all (4) trip points is exceed).
    ===============================

    5. State when fan works on full speed after resume:
    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ cat cooling_device*/cur_state
    0
    0
    0
    1
    1
    1
    1
    (Runs on full speed)

    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ cat thermal_zone0/trip_point_*
    256000
    critical
    78000
    active
    70000
    active
    60000
    active
    50000
    active

    (It's OK for current CPU temp)

    "sensors" command shows:
    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +37.0°C (crit = +256.0°C)
    temp2: +42.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)
    temp3: +33.0°C (crit = +105.0°C)
    temp4: +20.0°C (crit = +90.0°C)
    temp5: +100.0°C (crit = +110.0°C)

    "temp1" in this model of HP notebook is only for debug purposes (I think).
    "temp2" shows CPU temp (fan speed depends on it)
    "temp5" shows fan speed in % of maximum speed.
    ===============================

    6. I run this command, to "hot" the processor:
    "while true; do echo -n; done"
    and cancel it, when I see, that first trip point was exceed, and fan starts
    working on lower speed.
    ===============================

    7. When it done I saw:
    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ cat cooling_device*/cur_state
    0
    0
    0
    0
    0
    0
    1

    Fan works on 40% of full speed. It's OK.

    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ cat thermal_zone0/trip_point_*
    256000
    critical
    78000
    active
    70000
    active
    60000
    active
    45000
    active

    Last trip point was changed from 50000 to 45000 because trip point was exceed
    (it's OK, fan stops working below 45*C or starts working on 60% speed, above
    60*C).

    "sensors" show:
    maciek@gumis:/sys/class/thermal$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0