SubjectIdea: Make drivers/char/agp/*.c use the PCI API.
Hey guys,

I am working on getting Linux Xen PV guests to be able to use graphics card.
The crux of the problem I am running into is that any of the 'page_to_phys'
or 'virt_to_phys' macros under Xen return a PFN which is actually not the
_real_ PFN (called Machine Frame Number, MFN in Xen terminology). So when
we program the GATT bus address, the PFN of the GATT != MFN. Hence the bridge
ends up looking for the GATT somewhere completely different than what we expected.

In the past I've inserted some nasty skanky lookup code to in drivers/char/agp/*.c
so that the GATT bus address, and the bus addresses of the pages that are to be
mapped to the GATT get the MFN - but that was a band-aid solution.

I was wondering what you guys thought if I reworked the drivers/char/agp to use
the PCI API, similarly to what drivers/char/agp/intel-gtt.c is doing right now.
Perhaps even go further and squash the intel-gtt.c scatter-list usage into the
generic.c. Other ideas?

I've some of the old hardware laying around so I can definitly test some subset
of the hardware. Are there some particular ones I should look for that had
trouble?

  Last update: 2010-11-30 18:47    [W:2.808 / U:0.008 seconds]