    SubjectRe: RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()
    On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:34:35AM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
    > On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 01:03 +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > There were some murmurings on IRC last week about renaming the of_*()
    > > routines.
    > > The thinking is that on many platforms that use the of_() routines
    > > OpenFirmware is not involved at all, this is true even on many powerpc
    > > platforms. Also for folks who don't know the OpenFirmware connection
    > > it reads as "of", as in "a can of worms".
    > > So I'm hoping people with either say "YES this is a great idea", or "NO
    > > this is stupid".
    > I'm still hoping, but so far it seems most people have got better things
    > to do, and of those that do have an opinion the balance is slightly
    > positive.
    > So here's a first cut of a patch to add the new names. I've not touched
    > of_platform because that is supposed to go away. That will lead to some
    > odd looking code in the interim, but I think is the right approach.
    > Most of these are straight renames, but some have changed more
    > substantially. The routines for the flat tree have all become fdt_foo().

    I'm a little uneasy about using the same prefix as libfdt (fdt_foo())
    for routines that have a different implementation and different names
    / semantics to the libfdt routines.

    David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
    david AT | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
    | _way_ _around_!
      Last update: 2010-11-29 06:57    [W:0.058 / U:5.696 seconds]