    SubjectRe: RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()
    On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Michael Ellerman
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 18:42 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:

    >> > Yep sure, I'll just make it less crap first.

    >> > Obviously.

    >> > It'd also be good to hear from DaveM, sparc is the platform with the
    >> > strongest link to real OF AFAIK, so the of_() names make more sense
    >> > there.
    >> One Laptop Per Child ships real Open Firmware on its x86 Linux systems,
    >> of which approximately 2 million have been shipped or ordered.  An ARM
    >> version, also with OFW, is in the works.
    > OK. I don't see any code under arch/x86 or arch/arm that uses of_()
    > routines though? Or is it under drivers or something?
    >> That said, I don't particularly like the abbreviation "of" either; I
    >> abbreviate Open Firmware as "OFW".
    >> I don't mind using "dt_" to apply to device tree things; I think it's
    >> clearer than "of_".   Ideally, it would be nice to acknowledge the
    >> historical connection in some way, but confusing nomenclature probably
    >> is not the way to go about it.

    Yes, I like the ofw_ prefix too, and briefly considered renaming to
    that, but decide that dt_ was better due to the number of systems
    using the device tree without real openfirmware.

    However, the ofw_ prefix would make sense if any of the promtree code
    is renamed.

    > Cool. I think there will still be a few things that have OF in the name,
    > at least for a while, and I'm sure the doco will still mention OF, so I
    > don't think the connection will be lost.

    Considering that pretty much all the documentation makes some
    reference back to the openfirmware origins, I'm pretty sure the ofw
    legacy is safe. :-)

      Last update: 2010-11-26 09:43    [W:0.028 / U:8.364 seconds]