SubjectRe: debugfs_create_dir return value in acer-wmi, intel_ips and ec_sys
From
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Julia Lawall <julia@diku.dk> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was checking debugfs code in platform/x86, because I want to add
>> some files to eeepc-wmi. And I found something disturbing.
>>
>> The documentation says:
>>
>> > This call, if successful, will make a directory called name underneath the
>> > indicated parent directory.  If parent is NULL, the directory will be
>> > created in the debugfs root.  On success, the return value is a struct
>> > dentry pointer which can be used to create files in the directory (and to
>> > clean it up at the end).  A NULL return value indicates that something went
>> > wrong.  If ERR_PTR(-ENODEV) is returned, that is an indication that the
>> > kernel has been built without debugfs support and none of the functions
>> > described below will work.
>>
>> But then, here is the code in acer-wmi:
>>
>> > static void remove_debugfs(void)
>> > {
>> >       debugfs_remove(interface->debug.devices);
>> >       debugfs_remove(interface->debug.root);
>> > }
>> >
>> > static int create_debugfs(void)
>> > {
>> >        interface->debug.root = debugfs_create_dir("acer-wmi", NULL);
>> >        if (!interface->debug.root) {
>> >                printk(ACER_ERR "Failed to create debugfs directory");
>> >                return -ENOMEM;
>> >        }
>>
>> this code is *not* inside #ifndef CONFIG_DEBUG_FS, so debugfs_create_dir
>> can return ERR_PTR(-ENODEV) right ?
>>
>> Then, remove_debug() will call debugfs_remove(ERR_PTR(-ENODEV)) right ?
>>
>> So, acpi-wmi seems to have an issue when debugfs is disabled, that's "ok".
>>
>> But then I took a look at intel_ips :
>>
>> >        ips->debug_root = debugfs_create_dir("ips", NULL);
>> >        if (!ips->debug_root) {
>> >                dev_err(&ips->dev->dev,
>> >                        "failed to create debugfs entries: %ld\n",
>> >                        PTR_ERR(ips->debug_root));
>> >                return;
>> >        }
>>
>> Then PTR_ERR thing is strange, because ips->debug_root can only be NULL
>> here...
>> But here, it's ok to only check NULL, because it's inside #ifndef
>> CONFIG_DEBUG_FS.
>>
>> So, two drivers checked, to weird error handling code. I did a quick grep and
>> opened
>> the first result: ec_sys.c.
>>
>> ec_sys.c depends on CONFIG_ACPI_EC_DEBUGFS but doesn't depend on
>> CONFIG_DEBUG_FS.
>>
>> Here, again, the code only check for != NULL while it could be ERR_PTR(-
>> ENODEV):
>>
>> >        if (ec_device_count == 0) {
>> >                acpi_ec_debugfs_dir = debugfs_create_dir("ec", NULL);
>> >                if (!acpi_ec_debugfs_dir)
>> >                        return -ENOMEM;
>> >        }
>> >
>> >        sprintf(name, "ec%u", ec_device_count);
>> >        dev_dir = debugfs_create_dir(name, acpi_ec_debugfs_dir);
>>
>> Here, acpi_ec_debugfs_dir (that can be an invalid pointer) is used as
>> a parent dentry, and will be dereferenced without checks.
>>
>> I am missing something obvious, or are most of debugfs implementation

Answer to myself, when debugfs is disabled, it's ok to give broken
dentry pointers to debugfs functions since they won't do anything.

>> Julia, if I am right, coccinelle could help us right ? Can the tool check
>> if the code is between #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUGS_FS ? That would help a lot.
>
> Unfortunately, at the moment, it can't; there is no matching on #ifdefs.
> Perhaps it could be added.

Or better, something to check if a macro is defined in a particular contact ?

> I wonder though if sometimes returning NULL and sometimes returning
> ERR_PTR is something that should be encouraged?  Would one rather convert
> the NULL case to a specific ERR_PTR case?

But yeah, I found debugfs API disturbing, but it seems to be done like that to
ease the "debugfs is disabled case".

Thanks,
--
Corentin Chary