SubjectRe: [RFC 1/2] deactive invalidated pages
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:48:14PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:45:15 +0900 Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Andrew Morton
> > <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > > Spose so. __It's unobvious.
> > >
> > > If the page is dirty or under writeback then reclaim will immediately
> > > move it to the head of the LRU anyway. __But given that the user has
> >
> > Why does it move into head of LRU?
> > If the page which isn't mapped doesn't have PG_referenced, it would be
> > reclaimed.
>
> If it's dirty or under writeback it can't be reclaimed!
>
> > > just freed a bunch of pages with invalidate(), it's unlikely that
> > > reclaim will be running soon.
> >
> > If reclaim doesn't start soon, it's good. That's because we have a
> > time to activate it and
> > when reclaim happens, reclaimer can reclaim pages easily.
> >
> > If I don't understand your point, could you elaborate on it?
>
> If reclaim doesn't happen soon and the page was dirty or under
> writeback (and hence unreclaimable) then there's a better chance that
> it _will_ be reclaimable by the time reclaim comes along and has a look
> at it. Yes, that's good.
>
> And a note to Mel: this is one way in which we can get significant
> (perhaps tremendous) numbers of dirty pages coming off the tail of the
> LRU, and hence eligible for pageout() treatment.

Agreed. This is why I'd be ok with the pages always being added to the head
of the inactive list to take into consideration another process might be
using the page (via read/write so it's not very obvious) and to give flusher
threads a chance to clean the page. Ideally the pages being deactivated would
be prioritised for cleaning but I don't think we have a mechanism for it at
the moment.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

  Last update: 2010-11-23 10:47    [W:0.076 / U:0.064 seconds]