    SubjectRe: Challenges with doing hardware bring up with Linux first
    On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Alan Cox <> wrote:
    >> Right -- which is why ideally I think it'd be nice to have an open
    >> permissive stack people shared. My preference would be to just pick up
    > Which we know in practice they won't. They'll sit on fixes (often
    > security fixes) and tweak and add private copies of features. In turn the
    > Linux one could then only keep up by adding features itself - which would
    > have to be GPL to stop the same abuse continuing.
    > It's a nice idea but the corporations exist to make money and adding
    > proprietary custom stack add-ons is clearly a good move on their part to
    > do that.

    I agree completely with you. Its up to companies to decide whether or
    not they want to do that and ultimately traditionally companies have
    preferred not to. I actually think there is more to it than not
    wanting though... As I see it without people upstream working for some
    of these companies its really hard for them to get these ideas and
    actually believe in the possibility of it and the benefits. I'm
    voicing this publicly to our own managers and lkml because I'd like to
    see that companies get the message because realistically I really
    don't expect anything like this has been *seriously* considered
    before. When I ask people about it, I often hear people say they think
    it'd be nice, but that's about it. Nothing more. No push, no action.
    Its to the industry's best interest IMHO. Even if a common 802.11
    stack was shared, if it was permissive licensed companies could still
    go on and hack their own proprietary crap on top if they so wish, so
    that would still be an option.

    My point with all this thread is this: companies tend to not think out
    of the proprietary box they have been put in by old driver development
    habits, and driver development should not be so hard and tedious. They
    should start considering working on more open solutions even for
    proprietary operating systems, under a permissive license. I suspect
    this will help out with resources considerations, bug fix propagation
    and coordination between supporting different Operating Systems. We
    also stand to gain from this on Linux too, after all a driver bug fix
    for hardware sensitive code will need to be propagated to other OSes

    I can surely ignore the other OSes and their IMHO their terrible
    software practices but I can't because although it only affects Linux
    in a tedious way I think we can do better and strive for that. If
    sharing an 802.11 stack seems like a pipe dream oh well, at least I
    think we should consider opening up the code for the other OSes and
    let communities help with that crap for our company. Let it evolve
    naturally. The benefits of FOSS cannot just only benefit Linux.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-21 22:49    [W:0.026 / U:36.980 seconds]