    SubjectRe: [patch 0/4] taskstats: Improve cumulative time accounting
    On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 21:11 +0100, Michael Holzheu wrote:
    > Due to POSIX POSIX.1-2001, the CPU time of processes is not accounted
    > to the cumulative time of the parents, if the parents ignore SIGCHLD
    > or have set SA_NOCLDWAIT. This behaviour has the major drawback that
    > it is not possible to calculate all consumed CPU time of a system by
    > looking at the current tasks. CPU time can be lost.
    >
    > To solve this problem, this patch set duplicates the cumulative accounting
    > data in the signal_struct. In the second set (cdata_acct) the complete
    > cumulative resource counters are stored. The new cumulative CPU time (utime
    > and stime) is then exported via the taskstats interface.

    Maybe this has been treated earlier in the threads and I missed it, but
    the obvious solution doesn't get mentioned:

    What would break if we violate this silly POSIX rule and account time of
    childs regardless of SIGCHLD/SA_NOCLDWAIT?

      Last update: 2010-11-19 21:21    [W:0.023 / U:59.436 seconds]