SubjectRe: [dm-devel] [RFC] training mpath to discern between SCSI errors
Hannes Reinecke [hare@suse.de] wrote:
> > Also (although this might be a bit off topic from your patch),
> > can we expand such a distinction to what should be logged?
> > Currently, it's difficult to distinguish important SCSI/block errors
> > and less important ones in kernel log.
> > For example, when I get a link failure on sda, kernel prints something
> > like below, regardless of whether the I/O is recovered by multipathing or not:
> > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
> >
> Indeed, when using the above we could be modifying the above
> message, eg by
>
> end_request: transport error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>
> or
>
> end_request: target error, dev sda, sector XXXXX
>
> which would improve the output noticeable.
>
> > Setting REQ_QUIET in dm-multipath could mask the message
> > but also other important ones in SCSI.
> >
> Hmm. Not sure about that, but I think the above modifications will
> be useful already.
>
> I'll be sending an updated patch.

Hannes, is there an updated version of this patch? It applied fine with
Linus git tree with a minor reject! I would like to test an updated
version if you have one (the update seems to refer to better logging
only, right?).

Thanks, Malahal.

  Last update: 2010-11-19 04:15    [W:0.391 / U:0.040 seconds]