    SubjectRe: How do I choose an arbitrary minor number for my tty device?
    On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:38:07AM -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    >
    > > No, you can use the /dev/serial/ links to determine exactly which is
    > > which depending on the pci id, and other unique identifiers (serial
    > > numbers, etc.)
    >
    > I just booted a Linux kernel with the driver I just emailed you, and there's no
    > /dev/serial/ directory. The only directories under /dev/ are 'shm' and 'pts',
    > both of which are empty.

    Then plug in a serial port device and see what happens. You didn't hook
    everything up in your driver correctly it seems, do your devices show up
    under /sys/class/tty?

    > I'm also running a Fedora 13 x86 system, just to see if I need a full modern OS
    > to see these files. Again, there is no /dev/serial/, even though I have serial
    > ports.

    Dynamic ones like a usb to serial device?

    > Also not that since I'm not registering the byte channels as serial devices, I
    > wouldn't expect anything in /dev/serial/ to reference them.
    >
    > What does my driver need to do in order for these /dev/xxxx/ entries to contain
    > that information?

    See the udev rules for details.

    > > Is this somehow not public code? What just changed in the past 15
    > > minutes?
    >
    > Sorry, when I said "not public", I didn't mean it in a legal sense. Now that I
    > think about it, I guess that doesn't make much sense.

    Yes, it didn't :)

      Last update: 2010-11-18 19:01    [W:3.961 / U:0.640 seconds]