    SubjectRe: How do I choose an arbitrary minor number for my tty device?
    On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:56:43AM -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    > > Why? Again, it doesn't matter, and no other tty driver does it.
    > >
    > > Actually you do have control over it, if you really want it, but again,
    > > don't do that :)
    > Because the only way to know which byte channel tty you want is via the byte
    > channel handle.
    > Think of the situation where you have two serial ports on the back of your
    > computer. One of them is /dev/ttyS0, and the other is /dev/ttyS1. But which
    > one is which? The only way to find out is try one and see if it works.

    No, you can use the /dev/serial/ links to determine exactly which is
    which depending on the pci id, and other unique identifiers (serial
    numbers, etc.)

    > Now that might be acceptable for serial ports that are fixed physically. But
    > byte channels handles are completely arbitrary and easily change with even the
    > slightest re-configuration of the partitions under the hypervisor. I need to
    > have some way to tell userspace that /dev/ttybc0 is byte channel handle 73.

    Then again, just use the /dev/serial/ symlinks that are there for you.

    > > Sorry, I can't do code review, or accept code that is not allowed to be
    > > sent to the public, as, surprise, I'm public :)
    > Well, ok. I didn't want to spam the mailing list with something that only you
    > asked for, but here it is:

    Is this somehow not public code? What just changed in the past 15

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-18 18:23    [W:0.021 / U:2.764 seconds]