SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] New utility: 'trace'
On 11/17/2010 05:02 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 13:53 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

>>> I don't see the point, the kernel shouldn't contain any trace_printk()s
>>> to begin with..
>>

>> It's oriented toward developers. Those who use dozens of tracepoints in
>> their tree because they are debugging something or developing a new feature,
>> they might to deactivate/reactivate some of these independant points.
>>
>> This can also apply to dynamic_printk of course.
>>
>> Well, the very first and main point is to standardize trace_printk into
>> a trace event so that it gets usable by perf tools. I have been asked many
>> times "how to use trace_printk() with perf?".
>
> Thing is, since its these dev who add the trace_printk()s to begin with,
> I don't see the point in splitting them out, if you didn't want them why
> did you add them to begin with?!

What I understood from Frederic's email was that during a debug session
it is sometimes helpful to be able to enable and disable the
trace_printk's. This makes sense as it reduces the number of kernel
build/reboot cycles. However, I would think most of that could be
accomplished with some judicious message tagging and post-processing to
filter out the unwanted trace_printk's. The only exception might be when
the trace_printk's add enough overhead to mask a timing related bug. In
this case, I'd probably be tempted to remove the stubs anyway.

--
Darren Hart
Yocto Linux Kernel

  Last update: 2010-11-17 19:29    [W:0.432 / U:0.324 seconds]