SubjectRe: rfc: rewrite commit subject line for subsystem maintainer preference tool
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:53:35AM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Stefan Richter wrote:

> > Why should we codify our conventions in MAINTAINERS to accommodate the
> > specific problem of virtually a _single_ patch author?

It seems to be the way we're heading in general - look at all the recent
work on MAINTAINERS and get_maintainer.pl. There seems to be a genral
push to make all this stuff automatable.

> Either the maintainer wants the patch. Then he is certainly able to apply
> it no matter the subject line (I personally am getting a lot of patches
> which don't follow the format I am using in my tree ... converting
> Subject: lines is so trivial that I have never felt like bothering anyone
> about it ... it's basically single condition in a shellscript). Or the

It's slightly more than that if you're dealing with more than one area,
and I also find this sort of stuff is a good flag for scrubbing the
patch in greater detail - when patches stand out from a 1000ft visual
overview there's a fair chance that there's other issues so if people
regularly submit good patches that have only cosmetic issues I find it's
worth guiding them away from that.

> maintainer doesn't feel like the patch is worth it, and then the
> subject-line format really doesn't matter.

In this case if I don't apply it it's likely to end up going in via your
tree and then I'll still have to deal with the merge conflicts which are
more annoying.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans