    SubjectRe: rfc: rewrite commit subject line for subsystem maintainer preference tool
    On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:53:35AM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Stefan Richter wrote:

    > > Why should we codify our conventions in MAINTAINERS to accommodate the
    > > specific problem of virtually a _single_ patch author?

    It seems to be the way we're heading in general - look at all the recent
    work on MAINTAINERS and There seems to be a genral
    push to make all this stuff automatable.

    > Either the maintainer wants the patch. Then he is certainly able to apply
    > it no matter the subject line (I personally am getting a lot of patches
    > which don't follow the format I am using in my tree ... converting
    > Subject: lines is so trivial that I have never felt like bothering anyone
    > about it ... it's basically single condition in a shellscript). Or the

    It's slightly more than that if you're dealing with more than one area,
    and I also find this sort of stuff is a good flag for scrubbing the
    patch in greater detail - when patches stand out from a 1000ft visual
    overview there's a fair chance that there's other issues so if people
    regularly submit good patches that have only cosmetic issues I find it's
    worth guiding them away from that.

    > maintainer doesn't feel like the patch is worth it, and then the
    > subject-line format really doesn't matter.

    In this case if I don't apply it it's likely to end up going in via your
    tree and then I'll still have to deal with the merge conflicts which are
    more annoying.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-17 18:11    [W:0.025 / U:0.488 seconds]