    SubjectRe: [performance bug] volanomark regression on 37-rc1
    On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:38 +0800, Rakib Mullick wrote:
    > On 11/16/10, Alex,Shi <alex.shi@intel.com> wrote:
    > > When do performance testing on 37-rc1 kernel on Core2 machines, we find
    > > the volanomark loopback performance drop about 30%, that due to
    > > commit:fab476228ba37907ad7
    > >
    > Was that test was made before and after applying above commit? Would
    > love to know, how did you find that commit (I mean was it a git
    > bisection)?
    Yes, git bisect found this commit.

    > > It seems some of load_balance() is not necessary that caused by avg_idle
    > > setting. But do not know more details of the volano running. Anyone like
    > > to give a comments for this issue?
    > >
    > Does VolanoMark is used for scheduler benchmarking? If I'm not wrong,
    > I don't think it directly relates to scheduler benchmarking.
    Yes, but lots of benchmarks often find other part kernel issues. like
    hackbench/netperf often find VM performance issues. And an our cache
    testing tool often find scheduler problem.

    > > Ncrao, I have no idea of your benchmarks, but just guess removing the
    > > avg_idle setting won't bring much wakeup delay for tasks. Could you like
    > > to show some data of this?
    > >
    > > The vmstat output for .36 and .37-rc1 kernel as below:
    >
    > You are showing the output of .36 and .37-rc1. If Ncrao's commit is
    > guilty for this performance regression, then what are the results of
    > before and after applied Ncrao's commit. Then, what are the result
    > after applying your patch. You are showing vmstat output of .36 and
    > .37-rc1, which really doesn't prove the point of your patch. It needs
    > to be more clearer.
    The vmstat for .36 represents original kernel, .37-rc1 represent with
    the Ncrao's patch.