    SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
    On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Alan Cox <> wrote:
    >> Well, if I make behaviour like this default in systemd, then this means
    >> there won't be user setup for this. Because the distros shipping systemd
    >> will get this as default behaviour.
    > And within the desktop where would you put this - in the window manager
    > on the basis of top level windows or in the app startup ?

    Btw, I suspect either of these are reasonable. In fact, I don't think
    it would be at all wrong to have the desktop launcher have an option
    to "launch in a group" (although I think it would need to be named
    better than that). Right now, when you create desktop launchers under
    at least gnome, it allows you to specify a "type" for the application
    ("Application" or "Application in Terminal"), and maybe there could be
    a "CPU-bound application" choice that would set it in a CPU group of
    its own. Or whatever.

    So I do _not_ believe that the autogroup feature should necessarily
    mean that you cannot do other grouping decisions too. I just do think
    that the whole notion of "it got started from a tty" is actually a
    very useful thing for legacy applications, and one where it's just
    simpler to do it in the kernel than build up any extra infrastructure
    for it.

    So it's not necessarily at all an "either-or" thing.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-16 22:13    [W:0.021 / U:9.644 seconds]