SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
From
On Tue, 16.11.10 11:08, david@lang.hm (david@lang.hm) wrote:
>> >If the choice is between telling everybody "you should do this", and
>> >"we should just do this for you", I'll take the second one every time.
>> >We know it should be done. Why should we then tell somebody else to do
>> >it for us?
>>
>> this is good for desktop interactivity because it no longer treats
>> all processes equally, it give more CPU to processes that are
>> running 'stand-alone' then it will to processes that are forked off
>> from one master process.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzxreary@0pointer.de> wrote:
> This isn#t good for desktop interatctivey. It is *irrelevant* for
> desktop interactivity -- unless you define running "make -j" a typical
> desktop usecase. Which it isn't.
>
> Just stop bringing about the word "desktop" here. It has no point in
> this discussion.
>
>> In the desktop case where you really want something like 'make -j64'
>
> No you don't. Because that is not a desktop use case.

How about you stop bringing *your* narrow definition of "desktop" to
the discussion? I am a kernel hacker but that doesn't mean I'm not
also a desktop user. I shouldn't need to play with cgroups from
userspace to keep music playing while I compile kernels. Things should
just work.

Pekka

  Last update: 2010-11-16 21:47    [W:0.147 / U:0.576 seconds]