SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
On Tue, 16.11.10 11:08, david@lang.hm (david@lang.hm) wrote:

> >If the choice is between telling everybody "you should do this", and
> >"we should just do this for you", I'll take the second one every time.
> >We know it should be done. Why should we then tell somebody else to do
> >it for us?
>
> this is good for desktop interactivity because it no longer treats
> all processes equally, it give more CPU to processes that are
> running 'stand-alone' then it will to processes that are forked off
> from one master process.

This isn#t good for desktop interatctivey. It is *irrelevant* for
desktop interactivity -- unless you define running "make -j" a typical
desktop usecase. Which it isn't.

Just stop bringing about the word "desktop" here. It has no point in
this discussion.

> In the desktop case where you really want something like 'make -j64'

No you don't. Because that is not a desktop use case.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.