    SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
    On Tue, 16.11.10 15:47, Dhaval Giani ( wrote:

    > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Peter Zijlstra <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 07:02 -0700, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > >> While you can identify firefox etc,
    > >> it's not being done, and requires identifying every application.  Heck,
    > >> cgroups is built in, but userspace doesn't even mount.  Nothing but
    > >> nothing uses cgroups.
    > >
    > > The yet another init rewrite called systemd is supposedly cgroup happy..
    > > No idea if its going to be useful though, I doubt its going to have an
    > > effect on me launching a konsole or the like, or screen creating a bunch
    > > of ttys.
    > systemd uses cgroups only for process tracking. No resource
    > management. Though afaik, Lennart has some plans of doing resource
    > management using systemd. I wonder how autogroups will interact with
    > systemd in that case.

    systemd already creates a named cgroup for each user who logs in and each
    session inside it. That's implemented via pam_systemd, which is enabled
    in all distros doing systemd. We create those groups right now only in
    the named "systemd" hierarchy, but iiuc then simply doing the same in
    the "cpu" hierarchy would have the exact same behaviour as this patch,
    but actually is based on a sane definition of what a session is.

    Binding something like this to TTYs is just backwards. No graphical
    session has a TTY attached anymore. And there might be multiple TTYs
    used in the same session.

    I really wonder why logic like this should live in kernel space at all,
    since a) the kernel has no real notion of a session, except audit and b)
    this is policy and as soon as people have this kind of group then they
    probably want other kind of autogrouping as well for the other
    controllers, which hence means userspace is a better, and configurable
    place for this.

    Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

      Last update: 2010-11-16 18:15    [W:0.023 / U:33.020 seconds]