SubjectRe: [patch 1/6] fs: icache RCU free inodes
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 03:21:00PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:00:27PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > So to get some more precise numbers, on a new kernel, and on a nehalem
> > > class CPU, creat/unlink busy loop on ramfs (worst possible case for inode
> > > RCU), then inode RCU costs 12% more time.
> > >
> > > If we go to ext4 over ramdisk, it's 4.2% slower. Btrfs is 4.3% slower, XFS
> > > is about 4.9% slower.
> >
> > That is actually significant because in the current XFS performance
> > using delayed logging for pure metadata operations is not that far
> > off ramdisk results. Indeed, the simple test:
> >
> > while (i++ < 1000 * 1000) {
> > int fd = open("foo", O_CREAT|O_RDWR, 777);
> > unlink("foo");
> > close(fd);
> > }
> >
> > Running 8 instances of the above on XFS, each in their own
> > directory, on a single sata drive with delayed logging enabled with
> > my current working XFS tree (includes SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU inode
> > cache and XFS inode cache, and numerous other XFS scalability
> > enhancements) currently runs at ~250k files/s. It took ~33s for 8 of
> > those loops above to complete in parallel, and was 100% CPU bound...
>
> David,
>
> This is 30K inodes per second per CPU, versus nearly 800K per second
> number that I measured the 12% slowdown with. About 25x slower.

Hi Nick, the ramfs (800k/12%) numbers are not the context I was
responding to - you're comparing apples to oranges. I was responding to
the "XFS [on a ramdisk] is about 4.9% slower" result.

> How you
> are trying to FUD this as doing anything but confirming my hypothesis, I
> don't know and honestly I don't want to know so don't try to tell me.

Hardly FUD. I thought it important to point out that your
filesystem-on-ramdisk numbers are not theoretical at all - we can
acheive the same level of performance on a single SATA drive for
this workload on XFS. Therefore, the 5% difference in performance
you've measured on a ramdisk will definitely be visible in the real
world and we need to consider it in that context, not as a
"theoretical concern".

Cheers,

Dave.
--