    SubjectRe: [BUG] Commit d065bd81 severely regresses huge page allocation success rates
    On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Mel Gorman <> wrote:
    > When testing 2.6.37-rc1, I noticed that huge page allocation success
    > rates were severely impaired. Bisection showed that commit [d065bd81: mm:
    > retry page fault when blocking on disk transfer] was the biggest factor.
    > Reverting the patch confirmed this. Here are the results of a high-order
    > allocation stress test. The vanilla kernel is 2.6.37-rc1 and the revert
    > kernel has this commit removed with minor conflicts cleaned up.
    > I have not digested what the patch is doing but am reporting it in case
    > people familiar with the patch spot the problem quickly.

    There was a bug in that commit, which was fixed in

    I think this may explain the issue; compaction won't work well if
    extra references are kept :/

    Can you check that this indeed solves your test case ?

    Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
    A program is never fully debugged until the last user dies.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-11 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:4.500 seconds]