SubjectRe: Firmware versioning best practices: ath3k-2.fw rename or replace ath3k-1.fw ?
On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 10:27:36AM -0700, Suraj Sumangala wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On 10/8/2010 10:32 PM, Luis Rodriguez wrote:
> > Suraj,
> >
> > What is the difference between ath3k-2.fw and ath3k-1.fw ?
>
> This is the same question for which I have been trying to get an answer.
> The only information that I got was it fixes some critical bug and
> support shared antenna.
>
> If ath3k-2.fw is an upgrade of ath3k-1.fw why do we need to name it
> differently?

Sure, agreed, but what about the sflash configuration fix?

> > Won't the API change now that you are addressing the sflash
> > configuration fix? Would it not help to identify the two
> > different firmwares then?
> >
> > David, Marcel, what are your preferences for a firmware upgrade
> > where the firmware does not change API (lets just pretend it does
> > not for a moment) ? Do we keep the same filename?
>
> Marcel had answered me before. It makes sense to have same file name.
> Other ways we end up changing the driver whenever there is a firmware
> change.

> > I last tried to document a thread we had over this here:
> >
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/firmware-versioning

Thanks, I've updated that link above to document bug fixing does not require
a filename change.

Luis

  Last update: 2010-10-08 20:17    [W:0.110 / U:0.120 seconds]