    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3] Basic support for LWP
    On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:

    > [ adding Robert ]
    > On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 06:13:46PM -0400, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > > LWP (Light-Weight Profiling) is a new profiling mechanism that allows
    > > > user mode processes to gather performance data about themselves with
    > > > very low overhead. The specification can be found here:
    > > >

    > > All I can see there is marketing blurb. The spec pdf does not tell me
    > > either how the end result of your patches will look like.
    > Well, you should get a basic understanding of how LWP works from the
    > spec. I'm pretty sure there is more than that blurb in there.
    > What I sent _is_ the end result. Supporting LWP in the task switching
    > code is the only thing necessary to use the LWP instructions in user
    > space. And that is also what I'd like to get some comments on.

    So it's the end result. Ok, then explain the following sentence:

    > > > This code adds basic support for LWP to the context switch code, which
    > > > is the minimum needed to use LWP. Support for other LWP features like
    > > > interrupts will be added later.

    If your patch _IS_ the end result then there are no other LWP
    features, right ?

    If there are, then your patch is _NOT_ the end result and we really
    want to know what is coming.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-10-05 17:37    [W:0.040 / U:1.064 seconds]