SubjectRe: Tickles scheduler
From
1.Currently processes in the system are in some kind of list I think
(double circular).
So what if we assign each process structure (task_struct) property for
priority (maybe already there)
and another property which is time how long should run. So instead
having ticker in system,
each process runs itself predetermined period of time based on
priority and probably few more
parameters that should be in algorithm.

2. Second, when adding process into list, we can have separate side
lists, created in advance (something
like slab), where each lists hold tasks of same priority. So when we
add new process to list, at same
time we add it to his priority list. Than scheduler goes trough these
lists, based on priority and each
tasks hold it's running time. So we have two points to ease algorithm,
lists with single priority and time inside
each process task_struct related to priority.

3. In this way time-granularity of the system is high and allows for
real-time behavior, because we do
not have outside time that we "cut" in the middle when interrupt
happens, we just interrupt current process and when
finished, scheduler continue to walk trough lists of processes that
run its own time.

regards

--
Dragoslav Zaric

Professional Programmer
MSc Astrophysics

  Last update: 2010-10-28 12:23    [W:0.061 / U:0.532 seconds]