    SubjectRe: fyi: gcc33-hammer crashes when compiling kvm emulate.c
    On 10/26/2010 05:38 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Hi,
    > While doing a test run with the minimum supported compiler
    > I found:
    > An old gcc 3.3-hammer segfaults when compiling the current KVM
    > emulate.c (or rather in x86_emulate_insns) on x86-64.
    > The compiler goes into an endless recursion in validate_rtx and then
    > eventually overflows the stack and dies.
    > I minimized a test case, but didn't find a workaround
    > (minimized test case
    > My guess it's related to some of the inline assembler uses.
    > This might be an excuse to bump the minimum compiler version again.

    We have said 3.4 minimum for x86 for a long time now, and have an RFC
    out to bump to 4.1. Unfortunately there isn't a good repo of
    arch-specific version requirements in the kernel source code; in fact, I
    just talked to Tony Luck yesterday about the need for that.

      Last update: 2010-10-26 18:37    [W:0.024 / U:8.032 seconds]