SubjectRe: Inode Lock Scalability V7 (was V6)
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 01:34:44PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > * walkers of the sb, wb and hash lists can grab ->i_lock at will;
> > it nests inside their locks.
>
> What about if it is going on or off multiple data structures while
> the inode is live, like inode_lock can protect today. Such as putting
> it on the hash and sb list.

Look at the code. You are overengineering it. We do *not* need a framework
for messing with these lists in arbitrary ways. Where would we need to
do that to an inode we don't hold a reference to or had placed I_FREEING
on and would need i_lock held by caller? Even assuming that we need to
keep [present in hash, present on sb list] in sync (which I seriously doubt),
we can bloody well grab both locks before i_lock.

> > inodes. It's not an accidental subtle property of the code, it's bloody
> > fundamental.
>
> I didn't miss that, and I agree that at the point of my initial lock
> break up, the locking is "wrong". Whether you correct it by changing
> the lock ordering or by using RCU to do lookups is something I want to
> debate further.
>
> I think it is natural to be able to lock the inode and have it lock the
> icache state.

Code outside of fs/inode.c and fs/fs-writeback.c generally has no business
looking at the full icache state, period.

  Last update: 2010-10-22 05:09    [W:0.092 / U:0.240 seconds]