SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch] Adding kmsg_dump() to reboot/halt/poweroff/emergency_restart path
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:24:11 -0400
Seiji Aguchi <seiji.aguchi@hds.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Final messages from reboot, halt and poweroff aren't output to disk because klogd/syslogd
> has been killed and root file system has been turned read-only.
>
> Final messages from emergency_restart aren't output to disk as well because system may
> reboot before klogd/syslogd outputs messages to disk.
>
> Therefore, it is better to put kmsg_dumper in reboot/halt/poweroff/emergency_restart path.
> Any comments/advices are welcome.

I don't get it.

What actual problem are we solving here? Why is the current code
inadequate? It would help to demonstrate some use-case and to explain
how the situation improved with this patch.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans