SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the msm tree with the arm tree
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Daniel Walker wrote:

> I think the term "merge window" is a little mis-leading here.. Your
> describing development. To me the term merge window is indicating a
> short period when you get changes in, not the whole -rc cycle.

There are overlaps. The two-week merge window is for subsystem
maintainers to push their stuff to Linus. Obviously those subsystem
maintainers must have merge windows of their own prior pushing their
tree to Linus. This is a pipeline.

And folks let's not get too excited about this. The idea of having this
change at the end of RMK's merge window is to catch most (if not all)
ARM targets being affected. Last time I checked this affected something
like 367 machines. This is not a catastrophic issue if support for one
or two machines get merged outside of RMK's tree and a build error
happens for them once in Linus' tree. The fix should be obvious and the
-rc period is long enough to fix those things. Or the merge actually
flags a conflict that should be trivial to fix as Stephen did in
linux-next.

Merge conflicts do happen. If those conflicts remain small and trivial
this is _fine_.

Nicolas

  Last update: 2010-10-18 23:15    [W:0.113 / U:0.028 seconds]