SubjectRe: Process to push changes to include/linux/types.h

On Thursday 2010-10-14 23:37, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> >The usual approach here is someone sends it to me and I send it to
>> >Linus ;)
>>
>> We tinkered on types.h before, with the change originating in the Netfilter
>> subtree, and nobody, not even Dave, complained.
>
>It doesn't matter much at all what tree a change goes through. What
>matters more is that the appropriate people know about and see the
>change.
>
>For example, I never even knew that aligned_u64 and friends existed (it
>got secretly merged via the netfilter tree, apparently).

I would be interested in knowing whether you - in whichever subsystems
you happen to be active - would even need aligned_u64. Right now,
the only users seem to be PPP and scsi_tgt besides Netfilter.

>So when I review code (and I review a lot of code), I don't think to nag
>people if they open-code it. <greps>. That doesn't seem to have happened yet.

When these typedefs were introduced, I am sure that any open-coded
invocations that the new type sought to replace was adjusted.

>> (See v2.6.24-6165-gc82a5cb)
>
>hm, what does that mean.

Eh, it's a git commit identifier. When people throw around with these
(or their longer, 40-char variants), it is suggested to use `git log
-1 -p v2.6.24-6165-gc82a5cb` to see the details.
Or equivalent ways, such as visiting
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=v2.6.24-6165-gc82a5cb

  Last update: 2010-10-14 23:53    [W:0.101 / U:0.508 seconds]