SubjectRe: Proposal for synaptics driver
On 10/12/2010 06:23 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
[...]

> The rest of the
> touchpad is stationary and does not click. If no one has a better name
> for these touchpads, I'll refer to them as "integrated buttons"
> touchpads.

The name "integrated button" is the term in use for the later Macbook models,
where there is a button that clicks anywhere on the pad.

[...]

> My definition of a usable mouse is single touch and left

> click support (including click and drag using a physical button).

This has been stated several times already in related threads.

[...]
> For ClickPad devices, my feeling is that we should translate middle

> button clicks to left button clicks in the kernel, and MT+ST emulation
> should be performed. Middle and right click functionality may be
> provided for in userspace,

Having the physical click map to BTN_LEFT, regardless of where on the pad, and
flagging the presence of an integrated button via the version field in the
device id, would be consistent with existing drivers.

[...]

> I think we should disable single touch support over the buttons due to
> the following scenario:
>
> User positions cursor over button on screen, attempts to click physical
> touchpad button, cursor moves because of motion on touchpad when user
> depresses button.

The location and number of buttons could be freely mappable in userspace, so I
think we want to put minimum energy into the emulation part, considering it is
reworked in userspace anyways.

[...]

> Now the bit about integrated button touchpad detection. First, I would
> be interested in learning if anyone can disprove bit 0x200000 of the 0c
> extended caps flags means integrated buttons.

I think the easiest way to learn this is to produce a dkms package for people to
test.

Henrik

  Last update: 2010-10-12 20:09    [W:0.075 / U:0.256 seconds]