    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS client bugfixes....

    On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > However, I still suspect that the lock inversion problem can probably be
    > fixed without any of that at all. Maybe you can just break the chain
    > somewhere else. I've not actually seen the lockdep chain, so I don't know
    > the deails. Pointers?

    For example, if we're talking about readdir having a lock the other way
    (NFS lock taken before the mmap_sem), it's entirely possible that there is
    nothing to "fix" but some lockdep annotation.

    You cannot mmap a directory (and you can't readdir a non-directory), so if
    it's a per-inode NFS lock, then the simplest fix _might_ be to just put
    directory locks in a different lockdep class from non-directory locks.
    That might fix it.

    Of course, if it's not a per-inode lock, that doesn't help.

    And maybe I'm missing something entirely, and such games with lockdep
    classes are pointless, and I'm a moron. Quite possible.

    Linus