SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS client bugfixes....
On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:14:42PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 00:51 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > I'd like to see this fixed, but I do not want to jump onto a solution
> > > that changes the behaviour of mmap() w.r.t. revalidation. The current
> > > behaviour dates back at least to 2.3.x if not before.
> >
> > So do you have a plan to fix it?
>
> Yes. I want to pursue Peter Zijlstra's patches, which split up the mmap
> function into a set of parts which require the mmap_sem, and other parts
> which don't, and that adds a filesystem callback that allows for
> revalidation to occur outside the mmap_sem.

Is that really a 2.6.33 solution?

It sounds intrusive.

> > I don't think it'll be possible to do drastic changes in the
> > VFS for 2.6.33, and it seems preserving the current semantics
> > would need that.
> >
> > > That's why I'm working slowly on this.
> >
> > Delaying a fix to after 2.6.33 is not an option imho.
> >
> > It hits everyone with LOCKDEP enabled who uses mmap over NFS.
> > That's new in 2.6.33, previously LOCKDEP didn't diagnose this.
> >
> > I'll keep using my patch, but I suppose once we're going more
> > towards a release you'll get more reports of this.
>
> Why should this particular issue require us to rush into a solution?

Because every lockdep user NFS+mmap gets spammed now.

That's like having an oops in the startup sequence. The system
might still boot, but users are not happy.

> This has been there for literally _years_, and I've never heard of a
> single incident in which a deadlock actually occurred. The only reason
> why we've noticed it at all is because lockdep has started to whine.

I bet there were deadlocks somewhere, probably just didn't get reported.

-Andi

  Last update: 2010-01-08 01:45    [W:0.067 / U:0.424 seconds]