    SubjectRe: sections mismatch detection
    On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:38:20 +0100 Michal Marek wrote:

    > On 6.1.2010 11:48, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 12:11:23PM +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I wonder is it good time to enable DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH by default
    > >> now? I mean, remove the following from lib/Kconfig.debug:
    > >>
    > >> config DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH
    > >> bool "Enable full Section mismatch analysis"
    > >> depends on UNDEFINED
    > >> # This option is on purpose disabled for now.
    > >> # It will be enabled when we are down to a resonable number
    > >> # of section mismatch warnings (< 10 for an allyesconfig build)
    > >>
    > >> Just spotted this, and decided to remind.
    > >
    > > My original criteria for enabling this was that we had a warnign free build
    > > for all*config on x86 and a few other architectures.
    > > While focusing on this I never reached this goal as I usually ended
    > > up with some problems related to CPU hotplug.
    > > I dunno how close we are today at the "zero warning" target.

    > > But I can see a steady flow of section mismatch fixes so I think the
    > > situation looks better these days.
    >
    > There is also steady flow of new code ;-). FWIW, a 2.6.32.2 x86 distro
    > build shows 29 section mismatch warnings, 12 of these come from
    > drivers/staging, the remaining are (duplicates removed):
    >
    > WARNING: drivers/pci/built-in.o(.text+0x10a12): Section mismatch in
    > reference from the function dmar_ir_support() to the variable
    > .init.data:dmar_tbl
    > WARNING: vmlinux.o(.devinit.text+0x3aa2): Section mismatch in reference
    > from the function ezx_pcap_probe() to the function
    > .init.text:set_irq_noprobe()
    > WARNING: drivers/char/hw_random/virtio-rng.o(.data+0x44): Section
    > mismatch in reference from the variable virtio_rng to the function
    > .devexit.text:virtrng_remove()
    > WARNING: drivers/scsi/hpsa.o(.text+0x192c): Section mismatch in
    > reference from the function hpsa_pci_init() to the function
    > .devinit.text:hpsa_interrupt_mode()
    > WARNING: drivers/virtio/virtio_balloon.o(.data+0x44): Section mismatch
    > in reference from the variable virtio_balloon to the function
    > .devexit.text:virtballoon_remove()
    >
    > I'll try a current mainline build with DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y to see
    > if/how this changed.

    I would prefer to see (logically) the same section mismatch not be
    reported multiple times, even though they are in different binary
    files. This would reduce the noise level quite a bit IMO.

    E.g., I see this:

    WARNING: drivers/scsi/hpsa.o(.text+0x1bd1): Section mismatch in reference from the function hpsa_pci_init() to the function .devinit.text:hpsa_interrupt_mode()
    The function hpsa_pci_init() references
    the function __devinit hpsa_interrupt_mode().
    This is often because hpsa_pci_init lacks a __devinit
    annotation or the annotation of hpsa_interrupt_mode is wrong.

    ... followed later by ...

    WARNING: drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x28e734): Section mismatch in reference from the function hpsa_pci_init() to the function .devinit.text:hpsa_interrupt_mode()
    The function hpsa_pci_init() references
    the function __devinit hpsa_interrupt_mode().
    This is often because hpsa_pci_init lacks a __devinit
    annotation or the annotation of hpsa_interrupt_mode is wrong.

    ... followed later by ...

    WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x5b5cc4): Section mismatch in reference from the function hpsa_pci_init() to the function .devinit.text:hpsa_interrupt_mode()
    The function hpsa_pci_init() references
    the function __devinit hpsa_interrupt_mode().
    This is often because hpsa_pci_init lacks a __devinit
    annotation or the annotation of hpsa_interrupt_mode is wrong.

    One of these (preferably the first one) is enough for me.

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2010-01-08 00:05    [W:0.029 / U:0.012 seconds]