SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.33-rc3, rc2 regression at boot FIXED
Date
On Thursday 07 January 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>As this is already at the stage when userspace exists and init has been
>>>started, it might well be delay of some userspace stuff, not directly
>>>kernel.
>>>
>>>Does alt-sysrq-t at the time it is stuck give any clue?
>>
>>I will try that when I next reboot, thanks Jiri
>
>I just did, and ran into 2 things, 1st being an oops or crash that stopped
>the shutdown and I was forced to use the hdwe reset button. I rebooted to
>2.6.32.3 which worked nominally correct, then to 2.6.33-rc3 again, and
> played 10,000 monkeys on the keyboard while it was sitting there waiting
> for the /lib/firmware/amd-ucode/micrococode_amd.bin for 60 seconds, with
> no apparent effect.
>
>I am not convinced my wireless keyboard is alive at 0.6 seconds into the
> boot procedure. Or I was using the wrong key for 'sysreq' as susch a
> labeled key does not exist on this logitek cordless keyboard.
>
>What line in the .config file actually specifies the path it is supposed to
>be searching to find this file?
>
>>From a grep FIRM .config:
>
>CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is not set
>CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R100_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R200_cp.bin.ihex
>radeon/R300_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R420_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R520_cp.bin.ihex
>radeon/RS600_cp.bin.ihex radeon/RS690_cp.bin.ihex"
>CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
>CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM=m
>CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM_USB=m
>CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y
>CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM=y
>CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
>CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y
>
>Is something missing above?
>
>If I want to add the amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin to CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE,
> I will have to do it by hand as the xconfig editing function for that line
> seems to have gone away. That list of radeon stuff hasn't been touched in
> nearly 2 years. However, I will do that and report eventually.
>
>Or did the firmware loader itself get broken?
>
>Thanks Jiri.

Update: Fixed for me.

I left that line in the .config with the amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin added as
discussed above, but I finally grokked that the kernel trees firmware/amd-
ucode directory was not there, so I moved a copy of the microcode_amd.bin
into that directory and re-ran my makeit script. No errors during the make,
and the 1 minute stall problem at .6 seconds into the boot is now fixed.

2 Silly Q's though:

1. Can this file not be distributed as part of the kernel tarball?

2. Why did this Just Work(TM) for 2.6.32.3 and all previous kernels when the
only copy on the system was in /lib/firmware/amd-ucode, but not for 2.6.33-
rcany so far? FWIW, 2.6.32.3/firmware has no amd-ucode subdir at all!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Anything is possible on paper.
-- Ron McAfee

  Last update: 2010-01-07 17:27    [W:0.052 / U:0.048 seconds]