    SubjectRe: sections mismatch detection
    On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 12:11:23PM +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I wonder is it good time to enable DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH by default
    > now? I mean, remove the following from lib/Kconfig.debug:
    > bool "Enable full Section mismatch analysis"
    > depends on UNDEFINED
    > # This option is on purpose disabled for now.
    > # It will be enabled when we are down to a resonable number
    > # of section mismatch warnings (< 10 for an allyesconfig build)
    > Just spotted this, and decided to remind.

    My original criteria for enabling this was that we had a warnign free build
    for all*config on x86 and a few other architectures.
    While focusing on this I never reached this goal as I usually ended
    up with some problems related to CPU hotplug.
    I dunno how close we are today at the "zero warning" target.

    When people implemented CPU hotplug they started to use __cpuinit
    not only for code used during init time but also for code used
    solely for CPU hotplugging. That made it difficult to solve
    all the corner cases.
    Because __cpu* annotation was used outside the original scope
    I suggested to remove them from the checks but alas got no response.
    Running out of time I gave up.

    But I can see a steady flow of section mismatch fixes so I think the
    situation looks better these days.

    As the kbuild maintainer traditionally has been a central person
    in this respect (due to the functionality in modpost),
    I would like Michal to support this if we decide to enable the option.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-01-06 11:51    [W:0.020 / U:2.804 seconds]