    SubjectRe: Linux kernel crash dumps for ARM
    On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 09:20:23PM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Venkappa Mala <> writes:
    > >
    > > 2) As per kexec supports, kexec-tool is required and this allows you to load directly
    > > to a new kernel from the currently running one
    > >
    > > As from my side, i am not able to find arm implementation support in kexec-tools/crash sources.
    > >
    > > - is kexce-tool supported for ARM or not?

    It would be rather counterintuitive for the kernel to support kexec and
    the necessary userspace components not to.

    The MAINTAINERS file says:

    M: Eric Biederman <>
    S: Maintained
    F: include/linux/kexec.h
    F: kernel/kexec.c

    While the above URL redirects to gitweb, resulting in:;a=summary

    A peripheral grep of the kexec-tools source results in:

    $ git grep kdump | grep arm
    kexec/arch/arm/kexec-arm.c: return 0; /* kdump is not supported on this platform (yet) */

    So one could infer that kexec is supported on ARM whilst kdump is not. Adding
    crashdump support requires both some kernel and kexec-tools glue, but is fairly
    straightforward, just look at the other ports.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-01-05 09:51    [W:0.021 / U:33.740 seconds]